In the tech world, updates are inevitable.
Whether you are an Android, iOS, or computer user, you will update your apps from time to time. Consequently, updating the CPU drivers is a critical phase to ensure your computer runs smoothly. By updating the CPU drivers, your computer’s hardware becomes compatible with the latest Windows releases and updates. Additionally, driver updates help in fixing errors and bugs that were present in the previous versions.
Updating apps is relatively easy- visit their website and download the Update. Quite simple, right? While that may be simple, updating CPU drivers may not be easy if you don’t have tech knowledge. However, this informative article will show you how to update CPU drivers easily on your computer. More so, we shall offer you several working methods to update CPU drivers on your Windows 10, 8, and 7.
By the end of the article, whether you are a tech-guru or not, you will know how to update CPU drivers on your computer.
Why Do you Need to Update CPU Drivers?
The CPU, Central Processing Unit, is the brain of your computer. The CPU ensures that all programs and applications work efficiently on your computer. With such vital tasks, updating the CPU drivers is an incredible hack to ensure your computer keeps running efficiently.
Updating the CPU drivers may be different from other updates like a graphics card. Regardless, you will need a Driver’s upgrade to get an improved PC hardware performance. The CPU is integrated with a GPU, Graphics Processing Unit, therefore when updating CPU drivers, the GPU is also updated.
How to Update CPU Drivers on Windows 10
If your computer runs on Windows 10 user, and you require to perform a driver update, use the following solutions on your computer:
- Update Motherboard BIOS
BIOS, Basic Input/Output System, is a computer program that the CPU uses to carry out start-up procedures after you switch on your computer. BIOS determines the available peripheral devices, like video cards, printers, keyboards, etc., and loads the Operating System (OS) into the main memory.
You can upgrade the CPU software by updating the BIOS. To update the BIOS, contact your motherboard manufacturer and enquire for updates. BIOS update solves various computer problems and therefore only upgrades the BIOS if there is a computer problem.
- Download from the Vendor’s Official Website
Besides updating the BIOS software, you can go to the CPU driver’s manufacturer’s website and download the CPU driver files. To download Intel CPU drivers, go to any of these pages:
The above link is for downloading processors.
Use the above link to download chipsets.
- Run Windows Update
Another excellent method of updating the CPU drivers is by updating your Windows. This Update will update graphics cards, CPU drivers, and Windows altogether.
To run a Windows update, follow these steps:
- Open your computer’s taskbar search box and search Windows setting. Choose the first search result to navigate to the Windows Update Settings. Alternatively, you can go to Settings by hitting Windows+ I then select the Windows update menu.
- Check for updates.
- If Windows update is available, download and install them
- Reinstall CPU Software
Follow these steps to reinstall CPU software which will, in turn, update your CPU drivers:
- Go to your desktop screen or File Explorer and right-click This PC; then, on the drop-down list, select Properties
- On the left pane, tap on Device Manager
- On the pop-up window that displays, scroll down and click on Processors. There are several items named the same when you click on processors. These number of items represent the number of your CPU cores.
- Select any of the processors and right-click, then select Uninstall Device.
- Restart your computer.
When the PC restarts, Windows will install the latest CPU software, inclusive of CPU driver software.
- How to Update CPU Drivers from Device Manager
- Go to Device Manager by right-clicking This PC on your desktop or file explorer.
- In the pop-up window that appears, choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- If there is an available updated CPU driver, your PC will automatically install it for you. If an update is unavailable, you will get a notification The best drivers for your device are already installed. More so, it will give you tips on other ways to use while updating your CPU drivers.
Cpu Upgrade Checker
If you are anything like me, making sure you’ve done something successfully is your thing. Well, for CPU driver update, you can check if you successfully updated it or not using these steps:
- Right-click on This PC, and on the left menu, select the Device Manager option
- Scroll down and click on Processors, then choose any item from the drop-list.
- Right-click on any of the processors and click on Properties.
- In the pop-up window’s top menu, switch to the Driver section
- Check the Driver Date and Driver Version and confirm they are the same as the updated version you recently added.
How to Update CPU Drivers on Linux
Linux works differently from Windows in that most drivers in Linux are open-source. Regardless, it provides a great user experience and control of your computer. One of the most popular and free Linux-based OS is Ubuntu.
In Ubuntu, you can check for updates automatically or manually. To check for updates and install them on this Linux-based OS, follow these steps:
- Open your PC, then under the Unity Launcher, tap on the Applications icon
- Enter the word Update into the text box
- Click on Update Manager once the search results appear
- Tap on Check: The OS will run a computer scan, then provide the list for all available driver updates on your computer’s installed hardware. The list includes CPU driver updates of your computer if they are available.
- To proceed with the Update, click Install Updates, then fill in the administrator password.
- You must click Authenticate to enable the computer to download and install the drivers.
- After installation, restart your computer.
Updating CPU Drivers
Keeping your computer updated all the time is a sure way to avoid various issues. Always check for updates and install them whenever they are available. Use this information-packed article as a guide to assist you in updating CPU drivers on your PC.