RAM speed is always locked at a specific frequency, to increase the speed and fully utilize the speed; there is a need for overclocking the RAM. Overclocking is the best way to overcome slow system memory and enjoy your PC’s full experience, whether you are web browsing or gaming.
If you want a fast, balanced PC, optimizing your RAM by overclocking it is the best way to go about it. Even though there is a software to overclock the RAM, and you should use Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) or Custom overclocking to overclock RAM.
RAM overclocking is very significant for all PC enthusiasts and gamers. Without overclocking your RAM, it becomes impossible for you to utilize your valuable (high end) RAM. All DDR4 RAM is clocked at 2133Mhz. This article will highlight the benefits of overclocking and guide you on how to overclock RAM.
Scenarios that require you to overclock your RAM
- If you buy expensive RAM, the default boot settings may not be similar to the values advertised. Therefore, you have raised its performance by overclocking the RAM.
- Secondly, if one is overclocking the processor by increasing the base clock, the RAM automatically overclocks. Thus, you must change the memory’s frequency and timing for better or more stable performance.
NB* even if it’s not because of the above scenarios, it is always advisable that you overclock your RAM.
Situations where you don’t have to overclock your RAM
- When the processor’s integrated memory controller can’t go any faster or handle additional voltage
- When power consumption is an issue.
Why overclocking your RAM is significant.
Overclocking your RAM is very significant, as there are many benefits that you can derive from overclocking the RAM. It gives you the biggest speed-up plus enhances your PC performance. Currently, RAM is sold different speeds or frequencies. As a result, it is not possible to get that speed at default configurations. Overclocking your DDR4 RAM is the only way to get a suitable speed.
Furthermore, systems with APUs stands to benefit more from better memory performance as APUs use system RAM. And gaming is much faster with a built-in graphics engine when you up the PC performance by overclocking the RAM. Overclocking is the cheapest way plus the most effortless way to get the best (maximum) performance out of your system.
If you overclock your RAM, you won’t have to worry about your system requiring additional cooling. Moreover, if you only require a modest boost, you won’t have to look for a stronger PSU. And it has more frames per second (FPS) in games. You can efficiently multitask. It enables you to run different apps and other RAM intensive tasks effortlessly.
Disadvantages of not overclocking your RAM
- If your RAM doesn’t have enough speed, your CPU is more likely to get 100% load, which will cause slow memory which and that in turn will cripple your PC performance
- Your PC won’t perform well, which will cause you to face rendering device lost errors.
To overclock your RAM, you first have to:
Check the current RAM speed.
Firstly, you need to check the current speed of the RAM to overclock it. To check the current speed, all you have to do is right-click on the taskbar to open the task manager.
Go to the ‘performance’ tab and click on ‘memory’ it will show you the current speed of the memory modules.
Identify suitable frequency or speed for your RAM.
It is pretty challenging to identify a suitable frequency or speed for your RAM. Moreover, to know the speed, you have to overclock the RAM too. You don’t have to worry about that as you can overclock the RAM to a more than that of the RAM’s rated speed.
The easiest way of choosing the RAM speed is by choosing RAM speed that is less than or equal to the rated speed. Alternatively, you restart the PC after saving settings and running some heavy applications; then, you can check the other speeds.
Additionally, before overclocking, make sure the CPU is sufficiently stable. If the CPU is unstable, it can lead to memory errors. Moreover, when you are pushing high frequency with tight timings, the CPU is more likely to become unstable. Also, make sure the UEFI is up to date.
TIP* For better performance, make sure you change the memory’s voltage, frequency, and timing because when you overclock your processor by increasing its base, the RAM will also get slightly overclocked.
How to overclock DDR4 RAM
There are two ways to overclock RAM. You can either use the XMP or the Custom overclocking method. However, the Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP), a list of preset profiles that enable you to overclock your RAM automatically, is more liable to encounter problems.
The Custom RAM overclocking is ultimately the best way to overclock your RAM. The Custom overclocking method enables you to customize clocks, speed, and voltages according to your needs. It is the best and safest way to overclock your RAM as you set the settings according to your PC capability. You can overclock your RAM on many different motherboards using the Custom overclocking method.
How to overclock RAM DDR4 using the XMP overclocking method
Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) is an Intel technology that enables you to choose multiple memory settings by merely selecting a different profile. It is an easier way to overclock RAM in on ASUS, MSI and GIGABYTE motherboards. Simply follow these steps to overclock your RAM.
- Click ‘F2’ or ‘Del’ to open the bios menu when you are restarting or starting your PC.
- You will see the XMP option, enable it so that you will be able to overclock your RAM.
- You will be offered 1-3 profiles options to choose from.
- Choose your desired profile and restart your PC. After that, your RAM will be successfully overclocked.
NB* These steps apply to all motherboards.
Cons of using XMP to overclock your RAM DDR4
- Basically, XMP is only ideal for high-end RAM with high-end power supplies.
- It is risky to use XMP as the PC’s power supply might not go well with speed given by the XMP. As a result, RAM is might even burn if you choose the wrong speed.
How to overclock DDR4 RAM on MSI motherboard
MSI overclock bios is more user-friendly and easy to use compared to other motherboards bios. As a result, it is much preferred because of its MSI motherboard overclocking software. Simply follow these steps to overclock your RAM on MSI motherboard;
- Firstly, click the ‘F2’ or ‘Del’ button when you start or restart your computer to open the bios menu.
- When you have opened the bios menu, go on and click on the OC tab option. You will see the XMP, which automatically overclocks your RAM to the highest frequency.
- Disable the XMP, so that you will be able to overclock your RAM in manual mode.
- Go to the ‘Adjust DRAM Frequency’ option to set the speed.
- Afterward, simply restart your computer and select the ‘save and exit’ option, or you can simply click ‘F10.’ Your RAM will be successfully overclocked on the MSI motherboard.
How to overclock RAM on GIGABYTE motherboard
- Simply click ‘F2’ or ‘Del’ to open bios when starting or restarting your PC.
- On the bios menu, click on the M.I.T tab to overclock the system.
- Select the ‘XMP’ option and click on ‘+’ to disable it and change it to active manual mode.
- Finally, just select memory frequency (MHz). Afterward, just simply click the ‘+’ button to adjust the frequency. After that, your RAM on GIGABYTE will be successfully overclocked.
How to overclock RAM DDR4 on ASUS motherboard
- Click the ‘F2’ or ‘Del’ button when starting or restarting to open the bios menu.
- Click on the advance mode option.
- Choose the Al Tweaker/Overclocking tab and click on Al overclocking Tuner to Manual/ XMP option.
- You will be provided with options for DRAM Frequency that you can simply select to adjust the speed.
- When you are done, simply restart your PC and select the ‘Save and Exit’ option, or you can click ‘F10’ to successfully overclock your RAM on the ASUS motherboard.
In conclusion, to get the best out of your PC overclock your RAM DDR4. Overclocking your RAM provides you with more RAM speed. Except for the two scenarios mentioned above, there is absolutely no reason why you should not overclock your RAM. Especially if you are a gamer; it is a must that you overclock your RAM. Overclocking your RAM upgrades your gaming PC’s performance and provides you with a good gaming experience.
Overclocking your RAM, not only does it save your RAM from your CPU’s heat, but it also increases the overall performance of your PC. It is advisable to overclock your RAM using the Custom overclocking method as it is much safer. I hope this article on how to overclock RAM DDR4 2020 will help you a great deal when you decide to overclock your RAM. Unlock the full potential of your PC only by just overclocking your RAM.